How to Check Which Version of Chrome OS You’re Running? If you’re not sure what version of Chrome OS you’re running, don’t worry! In this blog post, we’ll show you how to check. And if it turns out that you’re not running the latest version, we’ll also show you how to upgrade. Upgrading is important because it ensures that you have access to the latest features and security updates.
While Chromebooks pretty much run themselves and don’t require a lot of maintenance, you should still check in on which version of Chrome OS you’re running from time to time. New features are being added all the time, and it’s good to know whether or not you have access to them. It’s also important to keep your Chromebook up-to-date from a security standpoint.
So how do you go about finding out which version of Chrome OS you have? We’ll show you two different methods: one that involves using the “About Chrome OS” settings page, and another that uses the command line.
Method One: The “About Chrome OS” Settings Page
The first method is the more straightforward of the two. To find your Chrome OS version using this method, just follow these steps:
- Open the settings menu by clicking on the icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Click “About Chrome OS.”
- Your version number will be listed under “Google Chrome OS.”
- And that’s all there is to it! Checking which version of Chrome OS you’re running using the “About Chrome OS” settings page is a quick and easy process.
Method Two: The Command Line
If you’re more comfortable using the command line, don’t worry — we’ve got you covered there, too. Just follow these steps:
- Open the Crosh shell by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T. You can also type “shell” into the Chrome OS search bar.
- At the Crosh prompt, type “chromeos-checker.”
- Press Enter and your Chrome OS version will be displayed.
- And that’s all there is to it! As you can see, checking your Chrome OS version using the command line is just as easy as doing it from the settings menu.
So now that you know how to check which version of Chrome OS you’re running, what do you do if it turns out that you’re not running the latest? Well, don’t worry — we’ll show you how to upgrade in our next blog post. Stay tuned!