You no longer need to be a paid Workspace user to be able to use Chat and Rooms in Gmail.
Google Chat and Rooms Come to Regular Gmail
Google has now made both Chat and Rooms available to all free Google account holders. You can head into your settings, enable the features, and start using them right away.
You can utilize these features on both the web version and the mobile version of Gmail.
How Chat and Rooms Work
Chat and Rooms are both designed to help you better communicate with your teams.
With Chat, you can have individual conversations with people. You can create group chats as well if you want.
Rooms bring more of a Slack functionality to your Gmail allowing you to discuss various projects, tasks, and files.
How to Enable Chat and Rooms in Gmail
Both Chat and Rooms come disabled by default and you need to manually toggle these on in your Gmail account.
Here are the steps to enable Chat and Rooms in Gmail on the web:
- Open your preferred browser and head over to the Gmail site.
- Click the cog icon at the top and select See all settings.
- Go to the Chat and Meet tab.
- Activate the Google Chat (Early Access) option, and click Try It in the prompt.
- Click Save Changes to save your changes.
- You’ll now see Chat and Rooms tab on the left of your Gmail interface.
You can enable Chat and Rooms in Gmail on Android as follows:
- Open the Gmail app, tap the menu at the top, and select Settings.
- Select your email account in the list.
- Scroll down and activate the Chat (Early Access) checkbox.
- Tap Try It in the prompt.
Image 1 of 3
Image 2 of 3
Image 3 of 3
Both Chat and Rooms should now be available in your Gmail app.
If you ever want to disable these options, use the same settings menu and turn off the option for these features.
Google Brings Chat and Rooms to Personal Gmail Accounts
If you’ve been waiting to get your hands on Chat and Rooms in your personal Gmail account, that day has finally come. Your team and personal communications are definitely going to get easier and quicker with Chat and Rooms both available on the standard Gmail interface.
If the new Gmail design on iPhone or Android fazes you, then walk through these features to stay productive with your emails.
About The Author